Barley Sandwich: Having a beer for lunch.
Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine
invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza.
"How's about a beer, Norm?"
"That's that amber sudsy stuff, right? I've heard good things about it!"
More Normisms...(Quotes from Norm Peterson during 11 years of Cheers episodes)
Beer Warning Labels
WARNING: Consumption of alcohol may lead you to believe that ex-lovers are really dying for you to telephone them at 4:00 in the morning.
"Coquo cerevesiam ergo sum" Translation: "I brew, therefore I am." (or more literally, "I cook beer (brew) therefore I am."
The Ten Commandments of Beer Tasting
- Check the freshness of every beer served at the tasting.
- Start with the "lightest" beer (lower alcohol and hop content) first, and work up to more "intense" (higher alcohol and hop content) beers.
- Use the same style of glass—a wide-bodied wine glass— for every beer.
- Do not serve beer freezing cold, but not at room temperature, either.
- Cleanse the palate between beers, but not with salty snacks like pretzels or greasy snacks like cheese.
- Eat plain crackers or bread.
- Do not suggest "funneling" two or three beer styles, just to move things along.
- Do not make fun of a taster who uses a fancy word to describe a flavor. However, do write that word down and use it later to mock the taster.
- Remember that this is supposed to be fun, not a scientific experiment.
- Do not remove your pants at any time during the tasting.
Which art in barrels,
Hallowed be thy drink.
Thy will be drunk,
At home as it is in the pub.
Give us this day our foamy head,
And forgive us our spillages,
As we forgive those who spill upon us.
And lead us not to incarceration,
But deliver us from hangovers.